Power Amplifiers Performance Survey 2000-Present
Sixth web release on 2021/08/02: "PA_Survey_v6". This version-6 dataset includes PAs/transmitters from 500MHz to 1.5 THz in Bulk/SOI CMOS, SiGe, LDMOS, InP, GaN, GaAs technologies. The dataset contains total 3813 data points with over 1300 data points for CMOS, SiGe PAs and over 2000 data points for GaN, GaAs, InP, and LDMOS PAs.
We have added sub-THz/THz power/signal generation circuits from 150 GHz to 1.5 THz, including PAs, fundamenal/harmonic oscillators, frequency multipliers, and radiator array to support the emerging research on beyond-5G/6G applications.
The file "PA_Survey_v6" is the version-6 dataset that includes ALL the reported PA/transmitter data since 2000 over frequency and various technologies. It also includes summary plots on CW Psat vs. Carrier Frequency for different technologies, peak PAE vs. CW Psat at different frequencies, and average PAE vs. average Pout for high-order complex modulations.
What is new in version-6 release beyond the version-5 release?
(1) Power Amplifier designs and sub-THz/THz power/signal generation circuits published between 11/2020 and 08/2021.
(2) A new Power Density metric as Psat/PA core area (W/mm^2) for CMOS, SiGe, InP, GaN, and GaAs PAs from 20GHz to 250GHz.
(3) THz oscillator/radiator array in silicon (Bulk CMOS, CMOS SOI, SiGe) with the information of technologies, array size, frequency (GHz), total radiated power Prad (dBm), EIRP (dBm), DC power consumption (Watt), Prad/PDC Efficiency (%), area (mm^2), beam steering (deg), and antenna/radiation details.
(4) For CMOS PAs, Bulk CMOS and CMOS SOI technologies are separately labeled.
- Cite this PA survey: Hua Wang, Tzu-Yuan Huang, Naga Sasikanth Mannem, Jeongseok Lee, Edgar Garay, David Munzer, Edward Liu, Yuqi Liu, Bryan Lin, Mohamed Eleraky, Hossein Jalili, Jeongsoo Park, Sensen Li, Fei Wang, Amr S. Ahmed, Christopher Snyder, Sanghoon Lee, Huy Thong Nguyen, and Michael Edward Duffy Smith, "Power Amplifiers Performance Survey 2000-Present," [Online]. Available: https://gems.ece.gatech.edu/PA_survey.html
- Acknowledgement: We would like to sincerely thank many of our friends and colleagues for their helpful suggestions and insightful discussions.
- Feedback and Suggestions: We welcome your feedback and suggestions, including the ways to interpret and present the data. In addition, although we try to be as inclusive as possible when collecting these published data, it is certainly possible that we may miss some representative PA designs. Please feel free to send us feedback, suggestions, or missing PA papers.
- Contact: Please contact us through poweramplifiers.survey at gmail dot com. Do not use my gatech email address, since I may very likely miss your email.
- Source for this data collection: We focus on peer-reviewed and publicly accessible publications that are typical forums for PAs, including IEEE ISSCC, JSSC, RFIC, VLSI, CICC, ESSCIRC, IMS, T-MTT, TCAS, BCTM/CSICS (BCICTS in the future), APMC, EuMC, and MWCL. We also focus on public product datasheets on PAs/transmitters.
Last revised on Nov 19th, 2020.